Knee pain is one of the most common musculoskeletal complaints. Knee pain has a wide variety of specific causes and treatments. The role of the knee is to bend (flex), straighten (extend), and rotate. In order to perform these movements the knee relies on bones, ligaments and tendons.
Knee pain can be caused by
- An acute injury, a quick twist or hyperextension/ flexion injury
- Can slowly increase over time
- Can be caused by a biomechanical issue such has ITB friction syndrome or Anterior knee pain
- A combination of bone, tendon or ligament issues
The most common symptoms of knee pain are:
- Pain and stiffness in the joint
- Swelling or fluid
- Pain walking up and down stairs
- Pain under the knee cap
- Pain getting in and out of chairs or the car
- Clicking and Locking
- Giving way
- Pain with walking, bending and squatting
Due to the nature of the knee your pain may be due to cartilage wear and tear, ligament damage, or due to a biomechanical issue. If you are having knee pain or experience any of the symptoms above make an appointment to see our expert Physiotherapists who will assess and guide you in your recovery.