Winter is here and as the weather gets cooler we often find it difficult to keep our motivation with our regular exercise regime. Whether it be out door running, sports or getting yourself to the gym, cold weather can really keep you inside.
Why not incorporate an indoors stretching routine?
During our colder seasons our muscles can become tighter and less supple due to cold temperatures and being less active. Regular stretching can improve our joint range of motion, overall muscle flexibility and help to prevent injury. Incorporating stretching as part of your morning routine can be beneficial for the rest of your day. Taking this time as a chance to change your routine is great for your body, as we can often become used to certain movements.
Tips to stay moving!
1. Find a comfortable space indoors.
2. Pick a time of the day that can easily become a habit, for example; before breakfast.
3. Stay within a range that is comfortable for you, stretching should not be painful.
4. Don’t force or bounce into a stretch, you may end up doing more damage.
5. Hold your stretches between 15 – 30 seconds otherwise you won’t get the benefit of the stretch.
6. Go through each stretch on each side at least twice.
7. Change it daily, you might want to work on a different routine.
8. Don’t forget to breathe!
Here is an easy routine to warm up your whole body:
Follow through each of the pictures, and move with in range that is comfortable for you. With regular practice, you will see gradual improvements.